About 150th Special Projects
a) Vivekananda Ratha Yatra
Vivekananda Ratha Yatra is the procession with Swami Vivekananda’s photo or tableau on a nicely decorated carriage. Many centers has arranged Vivekananda Rathayatra to spread the eternal message of Swamij in different districts and states of India. Lectures and cultural programs have been arranged in different places during the procession. Students, youths and admirers of Swamiji enthusiastically taking parts in these processions and cultural programs.
b) Awakening India
Swami Vivekananda holds a pride of place among the makers of modern India. He was one of the greatest patriots to have ever been born in this country. During his visit to Belur Math, Mahatma Gandhi said, “I have gone through his works very thoroughly and after having gone through them, the love that I have for my country became a thousand fold.” Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru said, “Directly or indirectly he has powerfully influenced the modern India of today and I think that our younger generation will take advantage of this fountain of wisdom, of spirit and fire that flows through Swami Vivekananda”. Shri Rabindranath Tagore said, “If you want to know India, study Vivekananda. In him everything is positive and nothing negative.” A large number of his friends and admirers repeatedly spoke about his love and passion for mother India.
India today is poised for a giant leap from the ranks of developing countries to developed countries. Our economic growth is robust and we boast of a very high percentage of youth population among the nations of the world. But, all these would be really fruitful and meaningful only if we can ensure that the benefits of prosperity and growth percolate down to the level of the masses across the length and breadth of the country. This is where many of the serious thinkers and well-wishers of this country are really apprehensive. The growth seems to be lopsided and the distribution of the benefits inequitable. Unless we address this concern very urgently, the situation may turn grave and disastrous. It is in this regard that we have a very wonderful remedy in the message of Swami Vivekananda. He is the perfect role model for the youth of this country and it is under his banner that the Indian youths can safely march towards their cherished goal holding their head high among the comity of nations.
With a deep sense of urgency and concern for the nation, we wish to spread the message of Swami Vivekananda, particularly his ideas on the regeneration of our motherland, in a major way as part of his 150th Birth Anniversary Celebrations.
Ramakrishna Mission, New Delhi is conducting a series of celebrations under the banner “Awakening India” heralding the 150th Birth Anniversary Celebration of Swamiji. The program was inaugurated on the 12th of January, 2011 through a Public Meeting to be presided over by our Hon’ble Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh with the Hon’ble Chief Minister of Delhi, Smt. Sheila Dikshit as the Chief Guest.
c) Experience Vivekananda
As part of 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda, Sri Ramakrishna Math, Chennai has launched a Project entitled EXPERIENCE VIVEKANANDA in Vivekanandar Illam – an initiative that lets the visitors experience Swami Vivekananda’s personality and message, assimilate his teachings and ultimately enable them to put Swamiji’s teachings into practice in their lives. The Experience Vivekananda Project has a theme and is broadly classified into five categories:
- Experience The Indian Culture – In the Eyes of Vivekananda
- Experience The Making – Transformation of Narendranath to Vivekananda
- Experience The Man and his Message – Vivekananda’s personality and ideology
- Experience The World Mover – Vivekananda’s influence in the modern world
- Experience The Practical Vedantist – Vivekananda’s concept of social service and spirituality
The Objectives of Experience Vivekananda project are as follows:
- Highlight the importance and relevance of rich Indian Cultural Heritage in this modern world as laid out by Swami Vivekananda
- Inculcate in youth Self-control, Self-reliance, Self-confidence & Self-sacrifice and make them Ideal citizens of India
- Inspire the Youth by aiding them follow the path shown by Swami Vivekananda to be unselfish to serve their country and fellow-beings
- Develop scientific temper and the spirit of enquiry among the youth
- Promote Harmony and Spirit of common brotherhood amongst all the people of India transcending religious, linguistic and regional/sectional diversities and promote unity in diversity
- Demonstrate practicality of Vivekananda’s Teachings by introducing the Youth to social service activities for the poor and underprivileged children
- Repair and Restoration of 150 years old Vivekanandar Illam Building
- Illustration of Ancient Vedic Period using Holographic Display
- Portrayal of Vivekananda’s Childhood using 4D technology for children
- Depiction of Vivekananda’s association with Master using pencil sketch Animation
- Rendering of Vivekananda’s wandering Days with Dioramas utilizing light and sound effects
- Recreation of Vivekananda’s meditation in the rock at Kanyakumari using rear projection
- Upgradation of Vivekananda’s photo gallery using Backlit Panels
- Projection of Vivekananda’s Parliament of Religions speech using advanced 3D TV
- Showcase of Vivekananda’s contribution to the modern world by using short throw projection
d) Vivek Express
Vivek Express are four pairs of Express Trains on the Indian Railways network. These trains were announced in the Railway Budget and these trains were started to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, to be held in 2013-2014. One of the Vivek Express trains, the one from Dibrugarh to Kanyakumari; is the longest route on the Indian Railways network, in terms of distance and time.
e) YUVA – Youth and Vivekananda
‘YUVA-Youth & Vivekananda’ is a unique TV series by CNN-IBN in partnership with Ramakrishna Mission to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda.